Sunday 21 February 2016

UK prods to be grateful for


Guys, I don't know if you know this about me but I am a fully qualified jet setter and baller extraordinaire, and I recently went to New York City on one of my many adventures. Embarrassingly, one of my toppest things about going to other countries (apart from culture, meeting new people, pretending to be a character in a romantic film etc.) is checkin' out all the sweet makeup and beauty thingz. There is little that brings me more pleasure than aisles upon aisles of STUFF that I don't usually have access to. Weird but true and I don't think I'm completely alone. Anyway, I have grand plans to write about all the best things to try to track down in the US (having been at least twice now I am an expert and I won't be argues with on that). But, in the interest of not falling into a "grass is always greener", whiney and melancholic mentality, I thought I would also mention some cool products that you can only really get in the UK and that we should all collectively be very grateful for.

First: the weird / borings. Cotton rounds are real expensive and real "fally aparty" in America. If you live in the UK you should take advantage of buying yours from Aldi / Lidl. Not so #glam, but they're so cheap and they really are the best. "No fleecing," the packaging complains, and I agree (I think). And here are two mad thoughts I had in America: "I can't wait to get home and tone my hair" / "I can't wait to get home and dye my eyebrows". The silver shampoo I got at the "drugstore" was really crap and my hair was one big brassy tone by the time I left. I'm real happy to be back in the loving arms of my bae Pro-Voke. And while I'm pretty sure eyebrow dyes are a thing in America, the UK one I like (and not just for the name) is called Dyebrow and is cheap and easily accessible everywhere. Dyed eyebrows just look better and that's that.

Now for the slightly more exciting (if you find glitter and lipstick exciting, which I of course do). I'm not really talking specifics here, just brands that make me proud to be British (just kidding, not really at all actually). Bourjois: the BEST liquid lipsticks which are real cheap, good foundations and concealers and probably my favourite eyeshadow ever (which I believe is called "03", so poetic). Barry M: Neon lipsticks for £5, plus pigments and nail varnishes in every colour of the rainbow. And Topshop Makeup, probably low key my favourite cheap brand, which is semi available in America but not nearly as prevalent. Pictured here is Boardroom lipstick, the best dead-girl-brown in existence, and Hematite eyeshadow, a silver pressed glitter pigment thing. Maybe there's a cool way for me to make a point about how UK makeup generally caters to more experimental, fashiony type stuff or something, but I'm STILL jetlagged (1 week in and it's so borin) so I'll leave it there. Rule Brittania or whatever. XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment