Monday 2 February 2015

that "thin person" head shape

I am not interested in bronzer. I do not desire the golden goddess look, and the phrase "liven up the face" has never appealed to me - in fact, I prefer a washed out slightly sickly look. Nonetheless, it can't be denied that bronzer is good for a flattering reshaping of the face, receding hamster cheeks and refining ten chins. When I want to fake the face shape genetics didn't bless me with, instead of using something in the "orange-brown" spectrum, I always go for something ashy and grey. In my brain, taupey-grey is the colour of shadows. Therefore, you can paint shadows onto your face to trick everyone into thinking that's just a face.
I know I'm not the first person to come up with this hypothesis, and one day I probably will buy that Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder for £35 because I can be foolish with money (... and, indeed, everything). But I had a clever thought, which was to search amazon for "matte taupe eyeshadow". (All pressed powders are basically the same thing, right? Nothing weird about using eyeshadows on your face.) What I ended up purchasing was the £2.49 W7 Shadow Perfection in Burnt Sienna, and I am really into it. In the above photo I am wearing it smudged underneath my cheeks and jaw - check out the fake bones I have created! (PS, do not check out the pile of rubbish on my bed and the open door to the bathroom - one day I will get better at taking selfies, promise.)
Here is the aforementioned "contour powder" as we will now refer to it, and the brush I use to put it on - the e.l.f. complexion brush (but I'm pretty sure any tapered blush type brush would work fine). I've also been experimenting with a lighter contour, using the powder from the e.l.f. brow kit in ash and really piling it on using the Real Techniques contour brush.
Top: W7 Burnt Sienna, Bottom: e.l.f. Brow Kit in Ash
As you can see, both of these have no warmth to them, creating a fake sculpted face without adding any colour or "life". I basically can't be arsed to wear makeup apart from lipstick, but I do wear this dark-ish, grey-ish contour almost every day. It makes you feel like you know how to do makeup, brings out a hint of your inner drag queen, and most importantly, gives you that "thin person" head shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment